Decarbonizing the NIME Community: towards more sustainable practices

Yes @mjl, I agree that the concert programme would be the best part of the conference for testing mini-hubs. For the oral sessions, perhaps we could think about making a video link available in the minihub to follow the talks happening in the main hubs or online, with the option of allowing the audience in minihubs to intervene with questions. That way we would create physical venues for following the talks collectively and also ask questions, without that venue having to host the actual talks, which would happen elsewhere where the necessary infrastructure is available. But yes, concerts first!

2 Likes

Hi all, great discussion. My concern about the mini-hubs would be an overall regional splintering of the community over time. It may be prudent in the immediate future to focus on the virtual events, until travel is safe again. To the end, my questions are:

• How might we create a space for virtual performances / interactions / exhibitions that is more engaging than zoom?
  • Can we do this in a way the supports both media designed for distribution across the internet and media specifically designed not for internet distribution?
    One of the problems I have found with hybrid events is that there is almost always a disenfranchising of the virtual participants.
3 Likes