How can we create a succesful hybrid conference?

There is a different thread about virtual conferences. But we are also interested in figuring out whether we would be able to create a good “hybrid conference”. That is, a conference where some people are gathered physically one (or more) places, while others are online? This sounds good in theory, but may be very challenging in practice, and potentially lead to a sub-optimal experience for everyone. Does anyone have good experiences or suggestions for formats that work well?

1 Like

It’s definitely an interesting idea. As the other thread notes, there are certain things that can’t be done virtually. Handling hardware, live concerts, etc…

How to hybridize this is tricky. I’m being asked to do that with my teaching this year, and I’m worried that it could lead to a bad online experience coupled with a bad in-person experience. Maybe we need to brainstorm about what kinds of things need to be live, what things fit well with remote sessions (paper presentations?) and what things could work for both.

1 Like

After some discussion with colleagues, here is a potential solution for a hybrid (and maybe also a decentralized) NIME2021.

Paper sessions: two choices for the presenter

1. In-person: center (Shanghai) + live broadcast.

2. Recorded broadcast via Youtube/Youku: for presenters who cannot come to SH.

Slack: video link access + discussion (similar to NIME2020. According to the survey, it seems people love slack!)

Workshop: two choices for the presenters

1. In-person: center + live broadcast

2. Remote live broadcast via zoom

Slack: video link access + discussion

Performance: two choices for the presenters

1. In-person: center + live/record broadcast

2. In-person: hub + live/record broadcast

Slack: video link access + discussion

Poster & Demo: three choices for the presenters

1. Online only: materials can be accessed online, either a webpage or a video.

2. Online + in-person presentation at the center.

3. Online + in-person presentation at a hub.

Slack: online material access + discussion

Installation: two choices for the presenters

1. In-person: center + an optional mini video documentary

2. in-person: hub + an optional mini video documentary

Slack: online material access + discussion

In sum, everything is available online for remote attendees. For physical components, the center is in charge of all of the papers & workshops, with some of the performance, posters, demos, and installations. The hubs in charge of a part of the performance, posters, demos, and installations.

The plan raises new concerns for both online and physical infrastructures.

For the online part, my main concern is the webpage design (call for submission and program) should be crystal clear; otherwise, participants would be confused about what to do. (I am pretty confident in the Slack platform, though).

For the physical part, the center seems to be a normal conference setting with an extra broadcast function, so I am not too worried. For the hubs , we obviously need more support. One concern is whether the hub(s) could reach the “critical mass” for social connection purposes. (Ideally, hubs could look like mini-NIME, maybe people can watch the online part together? )

3 Likes

During NIME-20, I noticed that some of the poster/demo presenters had gathered in a physical location (lab etc…) to present their work. This is perhaps the beginning of what you describe as a mini-hub. It seems like a safe, modest way to build up the hub idea, and would not really any specialized arrangement form the centre, since the mini-hubs connect/participate just as an individual would.

1 Like