The State University of Music in Trossingen (HfM) with the State Center of MUSIC-DESIGN-PERFORMANCE and the Department of Music Design is conducting the KISS joint project (KISS is the German acronym for Artificial Intelligence Service and Systems) in collaboration with Furtwangen University (HFU) between 12/01/2021 and 11/30/2025 as part of the german “Artificial Intelligence in Higher Education” program. The HfM already has a well-established specialism in the field of digitization in art, research and teaching, and now intends to bring in additional expertise in the area of AI. The aim is to use creativity and reflective research to shape the changes brought about by AI technologies in every area of musical activity (composition and production, adaptation and distribution but also the teaching and learning of music). Collaborating with the HFU makes it possible for the application of AI methods in ways that are specific to music to be combined with creative excellence at the highest level.
The following position needs to be filled for the duration of the project starting on 04/01/2022 until 11/30/2025:
Artificial Intelligence in Music 2:
Professor of Artificial Intelligence in Music Design (50%, W3)
The position starts on 04/01/2022 and ends on 11/30/2025. No extension of this is anticipated.
Your duties include:
- • Development of a subject Artificial Intelligence in Music Design for Master of Music
- • Opening up new areas of application for AI in the field of music design
- • Planning and delivering outstanding, cross-disciplinary projects relating to the application
- • Individual/group teaching in the subject of Music Design / AI (Bachelor and Master)
- • Development of the collaboration with the HFU as part of the KISS funding project as well as the relevant bodies within the university
- • Preparing and monitoring the evaluation of the funding project
- • Active involvement in the acquisition of resources from third parties
- • Involvement in the activities and projects run by the State Center of MUSIC-DESIGN-PERFORMANCE and the Department of Music Design
What we want from you:
- • A relevant university degree
- • International work in the field of AI and relevant project experience as a music designer
- • Outstanding profile as a creator (e.g. sound design, music, UI/UX)
- • Expertise in the use of AI tools
- • Meaningful projects using AI in applications specific to music
- • Practical knowledge of information technology for the configuration and use of neural networks
- • Pedagogical experience as well as specific pedagogical approaches to the training of young musicians in this area of excellence that is now being created
- • Ability and willingness to serve on committees and a high level of ability to work as part of a team
The appointment is being made by the Rector in consultation with the Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts of Baden-Württemberg.
Please note that only the German version of this announcement is legally-binding:
The State University of Music in Trossingen promotes professional gender equality and diversity amongst its members. The university has made an express commitment to the aim of being a family-friendly university. If they have the appropriate skills, those with serious disabilities will be appointed as a preference. The basic principles of the General Law on Equal Treatment (AGG) have been taken into account with this appointment.
The announcement is made on the basis of the joint “KISS” project that has been recommended for funding and is therefore subject to the final approval of funds.
Send your detailed application with the usual documentation collated in a PDF file (no more than 15 MB) by September 30th, 2021 (date the email is received) to
We take the issue of data protection very seriously. Information about how your application will be handled can be found in our guidelines, which you can access by using the following link on our homepage.